The main route between Pietermaritzburg and the interior ran through the area now known as Currys Post, named after the Curry family who settled and established an overnight wagon and cart stop. The Currys Post region is steeped in history with strong evidence, such as remnants of hunting camps and stone age tools, revealing that the region, although at a fairly high altitude was settled in Stone Age times. In 1818, the Lala clan of bushmen were removed by King Shaka's mighty armies during a bloody battle fought at the base of Loskop Hill, whilst Voortreker settlements were discovered by British settlers in 1848.
With the discovery of gold and diamonds up on the "old Transvaal" reef, wagon and cart traffic increased to such an extent that Currys Post became well known as a watering hole and place of rest for the weary travellers. During the Zulu and Anglo-Boer wars the route became an important military highway between the Pietermaritburg HQ and the Ladysmith garrisons.
With the construction of the R103 and thereafter the N3, national roads, the Currys Post road became a route which only served the farming community in the area.
Today the Currys Post route has become the hidden treasure of the KwaZulu Natal Midlands with magnificent cattle, dairy and vegetable farms dotted along its extent, all surrounded by scenic commercial and natural forests which extend for as far as the eye can see. The area is also the best kept secret with regard to its numerous hospitality venues which have emerged over recent years.